Uniting Brazil (intro)

Updates on the Brazilian mission



Wednesday 3 October 2012

Dream of Dreams


The author Leonard Sweet posed a very interesting perspective when he asked, "Have you ever had a dream in which you sat and read for an extended period of time?". He expands on this idea in his book, The Gospel According to Starbucks, but his point is that dreams are visual. They are dynamic images and they are vibrant. They don't consist of black and white text, just like the text you're reading now, they come from the deeper desires of our souls and involve our imaginations with actions we couldn't perceive doing in reality, most times.

Over the past weekend, I was with a family that moved to South Africa from Argentina. On Saturday afternoon we visited the Argentinian Association and were visited by a family that is literally travelling the world in a 1928 Graham-Paige car. Herman and Candelaria Zapp always had a dream to travel from Argentina to Alaska, however along the way on their first adventure a few things changed, and their dream became somewhat more elaborate. Today, 12 years and 10 months later, (and four kids later, to boot) they are still travelling to countries across the world on an incredilbe adventure. Listening to them talk so passionately about their dream was one of the more inspiring moments I've had in the last couple of months. They spoke about how they had no idea how this was going to work out, and they had no idea exactly where they were going to go next, but all along the way they came across wonderful people who just wanted to help them fulfill their dream. On the back of their book, Spark Your Dream (a rough english translation from their original Spanish version), the Seattle Post-Intelligent comments, "...Forget the monkey meat, the thrashing crocodiles, the wrecked axle, running out of gas, running out of money, going into labor. The hardest part of the journey from Argentina was simply starting it... ...The Zapp's advice for would-be dreamers: 'Begin'..."

My dream is now two months away from beginning and there are so many opportunities to pull out that come across the 
way, not to mention the incentives to follow suit. However, I have put my head down and stubbornly decided that I'm not going to give up the one opportunity that God has given me to follow His calling to Brazil. I won't get an opportunity to "save money" in this life, and use it for whatever God has called me to do in the next life. This is it. This is my vapour in the wind that I choose to use for His will, no matter what the cost. 

I hope that somewhere along your journey of life, in your own car of choice (because, to be honest, that 1928 Graham-Paige didn't look the most comfortable), I hope that you get inspired to drive off the beaten track and go to a place that you'd always wanted to venture into. A place that not many people had the courage to veer into. A place that you had only before seen in your dreams.

:)

I feel like I often end my posts with a Braveheart-esque finale. I should stop that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment: