Uniting Brazil (intro)

Updates on the Brazilian mission



Monday 12 March 2012

Rapid Waters

On Saturday morning I did some river rafting with my company in Parys. I have never gone river rafting before, and the experience was quite exhilarating. I could feel the overwhelming power of the water rushing at 30 cubic meters a second carrying me down an unpredictable, meandering river whilst I sat, unstrapped, in an inflatable raft, battling the hydraulics with my unparalleled weapon: a 2m pole with a plastic plate on either end. Yet, even though most of the time my 'captain' and I (the 'engine') managed to manoeuvre the raft adequately enough to stay inside of it, there were also times when all we could do was hold on while the water toyed with us and launched us over rocks and rapids, taking us wherever it wanted to.


This week has been an exciting week in God's orchestration of the journey to Sao Paulo. Our role in God's plans for our lives is of course vital, but in essence, the most vital part is to be in the journey of God. It's not my control that's going to eventuate in a successful migration. It's God's hand, and God's power, and God's will that will direct me despite even my best efforts. Week by week, I am trying to do what I can to make this dream happen, but at the end of the day, it's Him who is in control. He placed this call on my life. He is the water propelling my raft. The momentum that is carrying me over the obstacles. And even when I hit turbulent water, my destination has already been determined, whether I can see what is coming up beyond the next bend or not. I have to admit, I saw some people capsize their rafts yesterday, and there are times when it feels as if I've fallen out of the boat and out of any sense of control, but, like I saw yesterday, there was always someone around who would help the fallen boatman out of the water and back in the boat and the whole time they were continuing in the same direction as everyone else.
So what happened this week? Something that gets me very excited. I went to a 21st on Saturday night, not knowing almost anyone except the birthday girl. She placed me at a table with her brother. I knew him through association with my brother. On the other side of me was a guy I had never met, but after striking up a conversation with him and his wife, I somehow got to telling them about Brazil. They were very excited and encouraging and even offered to support me financially every month while I'm there. This is probably the most humbling experience I've had so far, that a couple who have just had a child, and are moving to another country even, are willing to help out a cause that they believe in with me as their entrusted ambassador. (and if you're reading this, thank you so much!)
I went to church, Sunday morning, and was introduced to a small group leader who told me that his small group are looking for missionaries to get behind and pray for and support. He asked if he could find out more about what I'm doing so he could speak to his group. I, again, was overwhelmed that all this is happening outside of my influence, and control, and that God in His plan, is calling people from everywhere to get behind a calling He's placed on me.
I hope the rapids you face, and the rocks approaching your journey don't intimidate you enough to make you jump ship and swim for shore. If we can be the friend that helps others back in their boats, our journey down God's river will be one surrounded by love, company and people who are willing to abandon their comfort zone to take care of us. So let's take up our paddles and let our lives go with His flow.